Please register at the following link for the CubeSats in Space workshop. The workshop will take place on July 25, 2019 at 6 pm.
In between late April and early May, we will be hosting a international field trip to Singapore! More details to be announced.
IEEE Think Engineering is an annual networking dinner that allows engineering students to: 1) connect with industry representatives from various sectors such as energy, electronics, software, and biomedical engineering, 2) develop the communication and networking skills that will benefit them throughout their careers, and 3) learn of new developments and opportunities in British Columbia’s burgeoning tech sector.
The night's dress code is BUSINESS FORMAL.
Remember, bring your business cards and DO NOT bring resumes. If you don't have business cards, you can always ask for the representative's business card or use the event booklet to exchange contact details!
We are selling tickets at the IEEE room, MCLD 319 and online (link below).
Student Tickets (online payment is subject to an Eventbrite fee):
- $25 for non-IEEE members
- $20 for IEEE members
You can buy tickets here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ieee-think-engineering-networking-dinner-2018-tickets-41809514383
Check out our page for more info: http://thinkengineering.ca/
See you there!
Hosted jointly by UBC Computer Science Student Society - CSSS, UBC IEEE, Cognitive Systems Society, and Engineering Physics, the 2018 Technical Career Fair will be held on Thu. Jan. 25, 2018 @ 10am-4pm in the West Atrium of the UBC Life Sciences Centre.
Are you just starting out in ECE, taking your first steps in electrical engineering? Or are you looking to refresh on some basic design skills? In either case, the Prototyping workshop is for you. The Prototyping 101 - PCB Design and 3D Printing workshop will happen on Friday, January 19, 2018 from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm in Kaiser 2020/2030.
This workshop will introduce PCB (printed circuit board) design, 3D printing and facilities the department has for both. Both these skills are useful for your design courses, student team and independent projects. Learn how a circuit gets designed from a schematic to breadboard, solderable breadboard and finally a PCB like your computer’s motherboard. Produce any solid object of your imagination on a computer and see it form layer by layer on a 3D printer.
On Tuesday, January 16 at 5 PM - 8 PM, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), UBC Student Branch, would like to invite you to our 2018/2019 Recruitment Session at McLeod 418! Becoming a member of the IEEE will open doors to opportunities that will help you develop your professional identity in IEEE's designated fields of interest: sciences, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Come and learn more about our team and the events we organize, as well as how you can get involved. Light refreshments will also be provided.
On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM PST, UBC’s IEEE Computer Society will be hosting a Python workshop to introduce the language and present some of its uses! Sign up here if you will attend: https://goo.gl/forms/wzl59FRddKyU357J3. Seats are available on a first come, first serve basis, and so act fast!
Alternatively, you may sign up here should you wish to volunteer:https://goo.gl/forms/bmYTnX2dsG27R0r83
Thank you, and see you there!
Mehdi Sadaghdar (ElectroBOOM) is coming to UBC to give a presentation on Electrocution!!
Room: Macleod 418
Date: April 4th, 2016
Who is Electroboom?
Mehdi Sadaghdar is an Iranian Canadian electrical engineer and Youtube Celebrity, ElectroBOOM. Mehdi uses his comedy and expert knowledge in electrical engineering to emphasize the importance of safety and to inspire students and young engineers. It's no wonder why he has over 640,000 subscribers.
The Mediocre Man (ElectroBOOM trailer)
Are you interested in Autonomous Vehicles? Do you want to design an Autonomous Vehicle Shuttle app for the UBC Vancouver Campus? Do you have a creative mind and a vision for the customer experience in an Autonomous Vehicle app in your community? If your response to any of these questions is, "Yes," join the UBC IEEE Wireless Venture Competition - Spring 2016! All you need is a one-page proposal!
The best proposals will advance to the Final Presentation Round, where you will have an opportunity to network with, and present your ideas to, judges from UBC SALA, UBC Transportation, and Moovee Innovations!
Submission Deadline: Friday, March 18th, 2016 @ 11:59 pm
Results of Submissions announced: Wednesday, March 23rd, 2016 @ 3:30 pm
Final Presentation Round: Wednesday, March 30th, 2016 @ 6:00 pm in MacLeod 418
If you have any questions regarding the competition, please contact Candice Loo at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have you been to Germany? How about Italy? IEEE UBC has you covered!
IEEE UBC is hosting its annual International Field Trip to Munich and Milan!!
INTERNATIONAL FIELD TRIP?
The International Field Trip is a 10 day trip where you will get the opportunity multiple companies like BMW, STMicroelectronics, Rohde & Schwarz and more. You also get to visit the Technical University of Munich and Politechnico di Milano and learn about the exciting research happening in their labs.
- In one of the previous international trips, two members on the trip secured Co-Op positions in Germany
- Time dedicated for exploring the city as a tourist
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MARCH 9th, 2016
Dates: May 2nd - May 12th, 2016 (10 Days)
- ECE Undergrad Students: $1260
- Engineering Undergrad Students: $1410
- ECE Graduate Students: $1630
- Engineering Graduate Students: $1950
- SAFCO ENGINEERING
- ROHDE & SCHWARZ
- and more
- Technische Universitat Munchen
- Politecnico di Milano
- Total ECE Undergrad Students: 12
- Total ECE Graduate Students: 3
Unfortunately, there are only 14 seats available for this trip!! So sign up as soon as possible!!
SIGN UP FORM: http://goo.gl/forms/XFmHXRufGk
Excited about attending Think Engineering? Nervous about approaching companies and just networking?
UBC IEEE knows the feeling too! That's why we decided to get a few professionals to teach us how to network.
HOW TO NETWORK WORKSHOP
Date: Monday, January 25th, 2016
Location: Kaiser 2020/2030
Time: 6:00 - 7:30 pm
After all....Practice does make perfect!!
[Click to expand names]
Sean is an Electrical EIT at BBA Engineering with a passion for assisting technical professionals in developing a robust set of non-technical skills. Sean has previously delivered presentations for BCIT and APEGBC where he shared his knowledge on topics such as personal brand development, powerful public speaking, negotiation and effective networking. He is currently the chair of the IEEE Young Professionals in Vancouver.
Jacqueline is an Electrical EIT/ Project Manager at Cellula Robotics, and holds a BASc (2011) and MASc (2013) from the Okanagan campus of UBC. She has worked in a few different industries since graduation, including optics, agricultural, and subsea robotics. She is currently the Vice Chair of IEEE Young Professionals Vancouver.
Jennifer Syrnyk is a Co-op Coordinator with the UBC Engineering Co-op Program, and holds a BA in Economics from UBC (2006), and a MBA from Texas A&M University (2010). She has worked in both the private and public sector, focusing on business and professional development in Canada and the United States. Jennifer is currently one of nine Co-op Coordinators working with over 1800 Engineering Students. Her recent activities include large and small group workshop facilitation, resume and cover letter reviewing, interview preparation, and general advising. When Jennifer is not at work, she can often be found walking her dog, Pickles, on campus or practicing for an upcoming Half Marathon.
IEEE UBC Presents its Ninth Annual
Think Engineering Networking Event!!
Date: Friday, January 29, 2016
Location: Sheraton Wall Centre (1088 Burrard St, Vancouver)
Rates: $30 for IEEE / $35 for non-IEEE members
As always, there are many companies attending:
AMEC Foster Wheeler, BC Hydro, Fortinet, Intel, Lex Engineering,
Powertech, Sierra Wireless, Tesla, Teradici, and ZE Engineering
Unfortunately, this year we only have a limited number of tickets. So, Drop by the IEEE Room (Macleod 319) to pick up your ticket today!!
There will also be a workshop on Networking effectively:
HOW TO NETWORK Event
Date: Monday, January 25th, 2016
Location: Kaiser 2020/2030
Time: 6:00 - 7:30 pm
For more information, visit the official event page: http://thinkengineering.ca/
If you have any questions, please feel free to email: ThinkEngineering@ubcieee.org
Biomedical Engineering is the fastest growing technical field in the world. To facilitate this this trend here at UBC, The UBC IEEE Engineers in Medicine and Biology Society is pleased to announce our first event of the year. We have invited industry and academic representatives from all over the lower mainland to meet students, and discuss job or research opportunities in the biomedical world.
UBC EMBS Academic-Industry Mixer
Location: 2332 Main Mall, Fred Kaiser Building room 2020
Date: November 13th, 2015
Time: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Admission is $5 for students, and refreshments will be provided. You may purchase admission at the IEEE Office in MCLD 319. Please RSVP using the form in this link: http://goo.gl/forms/q4bBKwWrca
If you have any questions about this event, please contact email@example.com.
We hope to see you there!!
Want to build your professional network after graduation? Come and learn about IEEE Young Professionals!
Event: IEEE Young Professional Seminar
Date: November 13th, 2015 @ 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm
Location: MCLD 418
We are pleased to invite Sean Garrity, the chair of the IEEE Young Professionals (YP) of the IEEE Vancouver Section to share the benefits of IEEE YP and his career.
IEEE Young Professionals is an international community of young working professionals. The society is about helping young professionals evaluate career goals, polish their professional image, and build a diverse and professional network.
All are Welcome!
The UBC IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) presents…..
UBC IEEE Networking Event
Students can meet and greet current industry representatives in an informal setting, at a pub.
This event is a great opportunity to connect with industry leaders and gain insight on what it’s like to be working as an engineer. And who knows, you may just meet your future employers at this event‼
6.00 PM on November 4th, 2015
The New Oxford Public House
1144 Homer St, Vancouver, BC V6B 2X6
$20 IEEE Members; $23 Non-IEEE Members
**Purchase your ticket from the IEEE Room (Macleod Building Room 319)
Monday, November 2nd, 2015
· BC Hydro
· AMEC Foster Wheeler
· Klohn Crippen Berger
· And more…
**RESERVE YOUR SEAT IMMEDIATELY‼ ONLY 30 SEATS REMAINING‼
Notes: Food will be served! Also, don't forget to dress business casual. Don't forget to pay in the IEEE Office (Macleod Building, Room 319)
Look forward to seeing you at the event!!
Calling all Graduate Electrical or Safety related Engineering Students!!
The IEEE IAS Electrical Safety Committee would like to award talented students who are passionate about Prevention through Design by subsidizing travel, lodging, and registration in the IEEE IAS Electrical Safety Workshop (ESW) on March 7-11, 2016 in Jacksonville, Florida, USA.
Participants must write an abstract addressing one of the following two topics:
How I would design a college course about electrical safety?
- OR -
How my research makes an important contribution to the field of electrical safety?
Applications are due by October 1st, 2015!
For more details, click the following link:
CALLING ALL Computer Science and Engineering Student!!
Come to the Telus Open House to meet TELUS close-up and personal!
Attend the First IEEE/TELUS Student Innovation Challenge and participate in all the fun activities they have in store including door prizes, a tour of the TELUS Garden, trivia question prizes and plenty of networking opportunities with TELUS directors and managers
Location: TELUS Garden, 510 West Georgia, Vancouver, 5th Floor
Date: September 29th, 12:45 (Registration) – 5:00pm
Dress Code: Business Causal
Schedule of Events:
- 12:45 Registration
- 1:00 Welcome, GELP Presentation, Refreshments
- 2:00 - 4:00 Team Competition and Building Tours
- 4:00 - 5:00 Networking, Social Voting, Prize and Results Announcement
For more details and to register, please click the following link: https://meetings.vtools.ieee.org/m/36201
We look forward to seeing you there!
The IEEE UBC Student Branch is hosting its first recruitment session of the year!!
To learn more about IEEE and our student branch, come drop by Macleod 418 on one of the Recruitment Session dates.
Get involved with the different committees and societies within IEEE UBC Student Branch!
Recruitment Session Dates:
- Friday, Sept 18th from 5:30pm to 6:30pm
- Wednesday, Sept 23rd from 5:00pm to 6:00pm
Room: Macleod 418
* There will also be free food and drinks too!
If you cannot make on both days, feel free to drop by the IEEE Room (Macleod 319) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a list of the different committees and societies within the IEEE UBC Chapter:
+ International Field Trip Organizer
- Organize an annual international field trip for the following May
- Apply for funding and file necessary reports and claim forms
- Maintain budget to ensure sufficient funds
- Designate team members to contact companies, research institutes, and universities for site visits
- Contact travel agencies, hotels and airlines for flights, transportation, and hotel arrangements
- Manage the trips advertisement, registration, and correspondence
+ IT and Website Leader
- Maintain and update branch website to reflect branch activities
- Work with committees to fulfill their online requirements, such as creating a registration page for Think Engineering
- Submit site to annual IEEE Canada website competition
+ Recruitment & Advertisement Leader
- Organize information session in September
- Arrange a booth for IEEE Student Branch during Imagine Day in September
- Create posters for branch events
- Design the 2-page spread dedicated to the IEEE Student Branch in the Slipstick (EUS yearbook) using photos from the past year due in February
+ Socials Leader
- Organize event(s) for IEEE Day (October 1)
- Plan team-building activities for the branch (roughly once a month)
- Organize large one-time events or smaller ongoing events (such as weekly skating at Thunderbird)
- Past Events: Dinner, Bowling, Go-Kart, BBQ, Skating, Ski Trips, Gaming Night, etc.
+ Seminars and Workshops Leader
- Organize the Graduate Studies Information Session
- Shall organize workshops(MATLAB, LaTeX, etc) with Electrical and Computer Graduate Student Association (ECEGSA)
- Organize seminars with Society Chairs
+ Think Engineering Leader
- Coordinate the major industry networking event of the year
- Contact hotels during summer to confirm venue and date
- Designate team members to contact companies for sponsorship
- Contact SFU and BCIT Student Branch representatives to arrange registration and promotion at their universities.
- Designate team members to design advertisement posters and event programs
- Designate team members to do seating plan, name tags, and name stands
- Advertise event and start student registration in January
- Act as a liaison with the hotel for floor plans, table arrangements, and technical equipment
- Apply for funding and manage event budget
+ T-Shirt Committee Leader
- Design a t-shirt that will be distributed to the team at the end of the school year
+ Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS) Chair
- Organize events for EMBS members
- Events include lab and industry tours, networking events, competitions and socials (McKesson, VGH)
+ McNaughton Centre Chair
- Focus on building and maintaining our IEEE Office.
- Identify necessary equipment upgrades (printer/computers), and office supplies (stapler/etc).
+ Power and Energy Society (PES) Chair
- Organize events related to electrical power and energy industry
- Organize the PES Industry Mixer (November)
- These events include lab and industry tours, networking events and socials (BC Hydro, PowerTech, Alpha Technologies)
+ Communication Society (COMSOC) Chair
- Organize Wireless Venture Competition (February)
- Organize events related to all communications technologies
- These events include lab and industry tours, networking events and socials (such as Fortinet)
+ Computer Society Chair
- Organize IEEE Xtreme Competition (Third Week of October)
- Help the CUBE organize the Computer Science Technical Career Fair
- Organize events related to computing technologies
- Events include lab and industry tours, networking events and socials
+ Women In Engineering (WIE) Chair
- Organize events for Women In Engineering members.
- Previous events: Coffee House Conversations, networking events and seminars
ECE, in collaboration with professionals from the Department of Paediatrics and the Child Family Research Institute, is bringing together students, developers, physicians and parents to create apps to solve medical care challenges for children and youth with chronic care needs.
WHO: Individual attendees, parents, NGOs and health care professionals.
Teams to be formed during the Pitches and Brainstorming Event.
WHERE: 2322 Main Mall - Fred Kaiser Building at UBC, RM 2020/2030
WHEN: Teams and individual attendees are to register by June 5, 2015.
Pitches and Brainstorming - June 12th from 5.00 - 8.00pm.
Development - June 13 - 14th, 9.00am - late
Focus Groups - June 15th, TBD
Refinement - June 19th, 9.00am - 5.00pm
Award Ceremony & BBQ - June 19th, 5.00 - 10.00pm
The Canadian FASD-Research Network,TELUS and the Down Syndrome Research Foundation, Children’s Sleep Network and NeuroDevNet are offering thousands of dollars of cash prizes. These prizes will go to individual participants and teams based on their input in existing apps/program/hardware or new app-development!
If you are interested in participating in Apps4Kids Hackathon or for more information, please visit https://hackathon-workshop.eventbrite.ca.
Come on out and code with us and build a website for charity!
All the funds raised will be donated to UNICEF in Nepal for earthquake relief!
Tickets: $10 for Students, $15 for others (to grab your ticket, please visit this site: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hackathon-for-charity-tickets-16734877469)
Location: VentureLabs 320-887 Great Northern Way, Vancouver BC
Time: May 2, 2015 @ 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
For more information, check out this Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1421578851482788/