The IEEE UBC Student Branch is hosting its first recruitment session of the year!!
To learn more about IEEE and our student branch, come drop by Macleod 418 on one of the Recruitment Session dates.
Get involved with the different committees and societies within IEEE UBC Student Branch!
Recruitment Session Dates:
- Friday, Sept 18th from 5:30pm to 6:30pm
- Wednesday, Sept 23rd from 5:00pm to 6:00pm
Room: Macleod 418
* There will also be free food and drinks too!
If you cannot make on both days, feel free to drop by the IEEE Room (Macleod 319) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a list of the different committees and societies within the IEEE UBC Chapter:
+ International Field Trip Organizer
- Organize an annual international field trip for the following May
- Apply for funding and file necessary reports and claim forms
- Maintain budget to ensure sufficient funds
- Designate team members to contact companies, research institutes, and universities for site visits
- Contact travel agencies, hotels and airlines for flights, transportation, and hotel arrangements
- Manage the trips advertisement, registration, and correspondence
+ IT and Website Leader
- Maintain and update branch website to reflect branch activities
- Work with committees to fulfill their online requirements, such as creating a registration page for Think Engineering
- Submit site to annual IEEE Canada website competition
+ Recruitment & Advertisement Leader
- Organize information session in September
- Arrange a booth for IEEE Student Branch during Imagine Day in September
- Create posters for branch events
- Design the 2-page spread dedicated to the IEEE Student Branch in the Slipstick (EUS yearbook) using photos from the past year due in February
+ Socials Leader
- Organize event(s) for IEEE Day (October 1)
- Plan team-building activities for the branch (roughly once a month)
- Organize large one-time events or smaller ongoing events (such as weekly skating at Thunderbird)
- Past Events: Dinner, Bowling, Go-Kart, BBQ, Skating, Ski Trips, Gaming Night, etc.
+ Seminars and Workshops Leader
- Organize the Graduate Studies Information Session
- Shall organize workshops(MATLAB, LaTeX, etc) with Electrical and Computer Graduate Student Association (ECEGSA)
- Organize seminars with Society Chairs
+ Think Engineering Leader
- Coordinate the major industry networking event of the year
- Contact hotels during summer to confirm venue and date
- Designate team members to contact companies for sponsorship
- Contact SFU and BCIT Student Branch representatives to arrange registration and promotion at their universities.
- Designate team members to design advertisement posters and event programs
- Designate team members to do seating plan, name tags, and name stands
- Advertise event and start student registration in January
- Act as a liaison with the hotel for floor plans, table arrangements, and technical equipment
- Apply for funding and manage event budget
+ T-Shirt Committee Leader
- Design a t-shirt that will be distributed to the team at the end of the school year
+ Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS) Chair
- Organize events for EMBS members
- Events include lab and industry tours, networking events, competitions and socials (McKesson, VGH)
+ McNaughton Centre Chair
- Focus on building and maintaining our IEEE Office.
- Identify necessary equipment upgrades (printer/computers), and office supplies (stapler/etc).
+ Power and Energy Society (PES) Chair
- Organize events related to electrical power and energy industry
- Organize the PES Industry Mixer (November)
- These events include lab and industry tours, networking events and socials (BC Hydro, PowerTech, Alpha Technologies)
+ Communication Society (COMSOC) Chair
- Organize Wireless Venture Competition (February)
- Organize events related to all communications technologies
- These events include lab and industry tours, networking events and socials (such as Fortinet)
+ Computer Society Chair
- Organize IEEE Xtreme Competition (Third Week of October)
- Help the CUBE organize the Computer Science Technical Career Fair
- Organize events related to computing technologies
- Events include lab and industry tours, networking events and socials
+ Women In Engineering (WIE) Chair
- Organize events for Women In Engineering members.
- Previous events: Coffee House Conversations, networking events and seminars